Diverse Intern Initiative – OPBO
Job Posting 2021-22
Crossfield Publishing Inc
We are an independent press located in St Marys, ON. This season (2021-22) we will be publishing seven books – a mixture of fiction and non fiction.
We have an opening for a 12 week intern position as part of our publishing team and encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Start date Jan 24 to April 15 (dates have some flexibility).
Currently Accepting Applications.
Virtual office environment.
We would like to introduce the intern to as many aspects of publishing as possible, thereby providing a rounded and grounded experience. Training for all tasks will be provided.
Hours: 30 per week, compensation for the internship is $6000
This would include:
- Assist with the virtual OLA booth (Jan. 27-30)
- Update meta-data (BNC Catalyst)
- Help with social media campaigns
- Post media links on company website
- Attend weekly staff meetings where we discuss ongoing projects (30 minutes)
- Assist in the development of a range of advertising, promotional materials, including posters, invitations, media releases and giveaway ads
- Assist in the development of publicity plans
- Coordinate review copy mailings and follow-ups to media
- Work with galleries, reading series, community centres, booksellers, museums, libraries, literary festivals, through networking
- other tasks that will provide an opportunity to learn
- Undergraduate degree or college diploma
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to thrive within a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- An appreciation for and familiarity with Canadian literature
- Familiarity with social media and Hootsuite an asset
- Familiarity with WordPress an asset
- Video creation or editing an asset
Guidance and direction will be provided by our publicist, marketing manager, book designer, editors, and the publisher. The team would also be receptive to new ideas and practices as brought forward by the intern. This position reports directly to the publisher.